In this post, we will discuss the best VPN for laptop. By the end of this post, you will know basics about VPN and find top free and paid VPN for laptop, smartphones. First, start with the basics of VPN.
What is a VPN?
If you already know basics about then you can skip to the next section to find best VPN for laptop. VPN is a “Virtual Private Network” that allows you to create a secure connection to another network on the internet. VPN extends any private network across a public network and allow users to send and receive data securely. VPN can be beneficial for you in the form of security, functionality and management. VPN routes your internet connection through VPN’s private server rather than your ISP (Internet Service Provider). It means, when you visit any website through the VPN, the data comes from the VPN instead of the computer.
Note: VPN can improve privacy and security but can never make online connections completely anonymous.
What can you do with a VPN?
VPN can be greatly beneficial for you if you are a consistent user on the internet. There are always some security and privacy threats on the internet. VPN can help you in keeping your information secure and private. Below are some of the common things people use VPN for:
- Visiting region-restricted website and content (e.g., If a movie is not available in your country then you can connect to a server of another country via VPN)
- Secure your browsing activity
- Safe access to public Wi-Fi
- Getting discount purchases and more
Best VPN for Laptop
So, you have gathered basic information about VPN. Let us start discussing some of the best VPN for Laptop that you can get at the lowest price. Many of these VPN offers a free trial for up to 1 month. There are some free VPN for a laptop that you can download online. We will discuss free VPN later in another post.
Should I go for Free VPN?
This question completely depends on your usage. If you want nominal usage of watching movies kind thing where privacy is not a matter of fact. You can go for free VPN services. But, you would not get all features in free VPN. Most of them limit the amount of bandwidth you use. Some VPN provide very low internet speed, and this may slow down all task on your laptop that require internet. These are the following pros and cons of free VPN:
- No need to pay any amount
- Good for beginners
- Limited Features
- Privacy Risk
- Limited Bandwidth
- Not completely secure
No wonder, ExpressVPN is quite popular among top VPN list. The VPN is available cross-platform. ExpressVPN provides high-speed connectivity and secure access to websites across the world. They have 150+ server location in 90+ countries. The main reason for ExpressVPN’s popularity is that they offer high-speed connectivity. You can stream some good movies on Netflix which are not available in your country.
Although, the ExpressVPN is the best choice as a VPN for a laptop nothing is perfect. Here are some pros and cons of the most trusted VPN across the world.
- Fast VPN speeds
- Powerful online protection
- Unblock Netflix, BBC iPlayer, Hulu and more
- Secure for torrenting and P2P traffic
- More than 3000 servers in 150+ locations of 90+ countries
- Easy to use
- Available for Windows, Mac, iPhone, Linux, Chromebook, Kindle Fire, Nook and Routers
- Available for Consoles and SmartTVs
- Unlimited bandwidth
- Expensive if you pay monthly
- Firestick app design needs improvements
- Kill switch not available for Android and iOS
- Free trial not available (There is 30-days money-back guarantee)
CyberGhost might be number 2 on the list but it is not less in the performance. This is one of the top-class VPN that provides fast and secure VPN service with DNS & IP Leak protection. CyberGhost VPN supports OpenVPN, L2TP-IPsec and PPTP protocols to keep you secure in the best possible manner. Based on 6500+ servers in 90+ countries, this VPN provides the highest possible speed and unlimited bandwidth.
- Fast and reliably secure VPN
- Strict No-Logs policy
- Dedicated streaming server for BBC iPlayer and Netflix
- Over 6500 servers in 90+ countries
- Auto protection on public Wi-Fi
- Has a kill switch
- Support almost all platforms including Fire TV, Apple TV, Consoles & SmartTVs
- 45-Days refund period (For 3 years plan)
- Connect to 7 devices at one time
- Short refund period on monthly plans
- P2P not available in many country servers (Check the full list here)
- Does not work in China, Turkey or UAE
IPVanish is another powerful VPN in the list. The VPN promises fast speed over VPN connections. Hence, the VPN is popular among users of Torrenting, Kodi and Firestick. IPVanish has a strict policy of No-Logs which makes is Best VPN for Laptop and other devices. It also provides verified IP Leak protection. Although, it has relatively a smaller number of servers (around 1400) and huge IP address database of over 40,000.
- Super-fast VPN Speed
- Verified DNS Leak protection
- Unblocks Netflix
- Comes with 250GB SugarSync encrypted storage & backup
- SOCKS5 web proxy
- Over 1400 servers in 50+ countries
- More than 40,000 IP address pool
- Use on up to 10 devices at one time
- Comparatively less price for a shorter time
- Does not work in China or UAE
- Does not unblock Disney+ or BBC iPlayer
- No browse extension available
NordVPN provides safe and most secure VPN services. It has more than 5000 servers in 59 countries. In terms, of servers, it has the second biggest server network after CyberGhost. NordVPN offers privacy features such as VPN kill switch, double VPN & AES-256 encryption. It has VPN apps available for a wide range of devices that include a router and Amazon Firesticks. You can use one subscription to connect to 6 devices at a time.
- Fast same-country speeds
- No Logs policy with IP leak protection
- Works with Disney+, Netflix & BBC iPlayer
- Large server network (5000+ in 59 countries)
- Torrenting P2P access
- Good pricing plan options
- Kill switch
- Dedicated IP address
- Browser extensions available
- Block malware & ads
- Some features require manual configuration
- Does not unblock apps on Amazon firestick & routers
- Server breach in 2018 (responded late)
Namecheap VPN service is the newly launched and improved VPN. This VPN offers a reliably fast and secure solution for everyday internet usage. Namecheap VPN is one of the best VPN for laptop and other devices including routers. It features, status notifications, kill switch, quick navigation tools, and much more. You can try this VPN for free and then pay comparatively lesser than any of VPN provider.
- Much cheaper than any other VPN (just $12 for a year)
- No traffic logs with DNS leak protection
- High-speed network suitable for streaming and online gaming
- Unmetered bandwidth
- Avoid ISP throttling
- Easy setup with 24/7 support
- The server network is smaller (around 1000 in 75+ countries)
- Available for lesser devices (Android, Windows, iOS, Mac & Router)
- Software UI needs some improvement
In the above post, we have discussed some of the best VPN for laptop and other devices. These VPNs are available at different pricing plans and money-back guarantee. Although, all of these provide seamless internet usage and security, yet it cannot completely make you go anonymous. If you are budget oriented, then you can go for IPVanish or Namecheap VPN. Otherwise, ExpressVPN & CyberGhost is the best options when it comes about paid VPNs.
Using a VPN is not necessary on your device unless you want to keep yourself secure from all privacy issues. If you are concerned about your privacy, then you should subscribe to a VPN subscription of the long period as it offers a huge discount. If you are aware of the best VPN for Laptop and other devices, then share in below comments.
All the Logos used in the post are property of their respective owners. We have used such logos and images for reference purpose only.