How to view Exchange OST file data without Outlook?
An OST file is an offline storage table which is generated automatically on your computer when you configure an Exchange account in Outlook and choose to work in Cached Exchange mode. An OST file is a copy of all your information stored in the Exchange mailbox. It helps users to access their Exchange mailboxes without the server connection. However, you cannot send/receive messages without a server connection.
When an OST file becomes damaged, you simply can rebuild them after deleting the damaged ones. But when Exchange server is down or unavailable for a long time, you need to find some alternate ways for viewing your emails.
Reasons Behind Corruption of an OST File
It’s not easy to open and view orphaned OST files when there are damaged files; there are several reasons that can corrupt an OST file, such as;
- Deficiencies in Outlook program
- Virus or malware intrusion
- Sudden power failures
- Network interruptions
- Data storage device failure
When an OST file gets corrupted, one thing that worries the users most is how they will open and read a corrupt/damaged OST file. There is no manual method to open and view an OST file. But, with the help of Kernel OST Viewer , users can quickly open and view their OST files. You may recover your important data using free data recovery softwares.
Kernel OST Viewer : View Exchange OST file data
It is a freeware tool that allows users to open and view their OST files without installing Outlook or Exchange. It has some extended features that make its working easier.
- Preview all OST items including emails, attachments, deleted items, calendars, etc.
- Open corrupt and damaged Ost files
- Advanced search option to find specific OST emails/items
- Create a comprehensive analysis report to analyze the OST data
- Copy and print the OST email list in HTML format
- Compatible with all versions of Exchange and Outlook
Kernel OST Viewer is free to download. Follow the below steps to understand its working process.
- Download the tool and install Kernel OST Viewer on your system.
- On launching the tool, a window will appear on the screen. Select the OST file which you want to open in the OST viewer, and then click “Next.”
Note 1: You can add multiple OST files to the tool to open and preview their content.
Note 2: You can use the “Search” option to find the OST files on your system.
- The tool will take a few seconds to repair the corrupt OST file. After restoring, you can see all its content in a tree-like structure in the left pane of the tool. Click any specific email to preview it in the tool.
Note 1: You’ll find the OST file folders with the same hierarchy as in MS Outlook.
Note 2: If you want to save this OST email list, then click the “Html” icon in the upper left corner of the tool.
- Now, to create an analysis report of this file, select the report type from the right corner of the tool. A new wizard will appear on the screen. Select the specific folders and hit the “Analyze” button.
This way you can quickly open and view any Exchange OST data file without installing Exchange or Outlook. However, Using this tool you can only allows view exhange OST file data. If you want to convert it to other file formats, then use Kernel for OST to PST Converter tool.