You can still get free upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 without any data loss by following some simple steps. Microsoft has officially announced the closure of support for Windows 7 starting from January 2020. This means you won’t get any future updates to keep you PC secure or enjoy new features. Many users may have to pay the price for the upgrade towards a newer operating system. In this post, we’ll help you to upgrade to Windows 10 from Windows 7 or 8 without loosing any data.
Why Upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10?
The obvious reason for upgrading from older operating system to newer is to avail new features and security updates. Starting 2020, your Windows 7 PC will become vulnerable to security threats as you will no longer receive security updates from Microsoft. Apart from update issue, there are following reason to understand the reason for an upgrade to Windows 10:
- Windows 10 offers smoother and faster operations including use of memory and disk spaces. You won’t have to worry about some apps using most of the RAM in your computer.
- File explorer in Windows 10 is somewhat better than the predecessors.
- Gaming is improved in Windows 10 because of DirectX 12.
- System refresh and reset options are the best to maintain your computer. You can easily refresh your computer without any data loss or reset the computer without any external media.
- Software and hardware compatibility are the biggest reason that you should upgrade to Windows 10. New hardware is being developed according to modern operating systems and Windows 10 provide better built-in support for SSD, secure boot such as UEFI, USB 3.0 etc.
- Microsoft Edge browser is way better than Internet Explorer. Although it’s not good as Chrome and Firefox but new Microsoft is ready to launch its bran new Chromium based Microsoft Edge browser.
- Windows Store is the part you will miss in Windows 7. It allows you to remotely install and updates the application in your PC just like Android & iOS apps.
Backup Your Data Before Upgrade:
You should backup your date before you start the upgrade process. You might lose important files and information while upgrading the operating system to a newer version. We suggest you backup the data on Windows 7 computer by following these steps:
- You can manually backup your important data on Windows 7 or another operating system. All you need to know what is important and where is it located? If you’re just upgrading your computer then you need to copy and save the files and folder from the drive where Windows is installed. Just head to, My Computer > C Drive (Windows Location) > Users > “Username”.
- Now copy the folders that you want to backup, and save it in some external storage or another drive in your PC.
How to Upgrade to Windows 10 from Windows 7 for Free:
Well, if you have missed the free upgrade from Microsoft, you need not to worry about it. You can still upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 for free. Yes, that’s true. But this thing will only work if you’re having an activated copy of Windows 7 or Windows 8 or Windows 8.1. Follow these simple steps to upgrade to Windows 10 from Windows 7 or Windows 8 for free:
- First of all, head over to Microsoft Windows 10 download website.
- Now, scroll down a bit and click on Download Tool Now button under “Create Windows 10 installation media”
- Run the downloaded tool and accept the license terms.
- Now once its ready you’ll see two options either to upgrade this PC (system you’re currently using) or create installation media (USB, ISO etc) file for another computer. If you use ISO option you need to create a bootable drive by yourself (You can do it using Rufus tool).
- Select any option above and follow the steps. You can modify the settings according to you if you’re expert in those. Otherwise, just use the recommended settings.
- Windows 10 will soon start downloading and once it is completed you can upgrade your computer.
- You may have to re-install Windows 10 on the computer you’re upgrading.
- After the upgrade is complete you can go to settings and see Windows 10 activated with a digital license.
This is the best way to upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 for free. But keep in mind, if you have Windows 7 or Windows 8 Home edition licence then you will be upgraded to Windows 10 Home edition and vice versa.
Do I really need to upgrade to Windows 10?
Well, that’s up to you if you want to upgrade your computer or not. But, you won’t be getting any security and feature updates from Microsoft if you’re a Windows 7 user. Apart from these security updates thing, there is nothing necessary to upgrade towards a modern operating system if you love older one. We have already discussed benefits you can get from Windows 10. Yet there are some features, which your computer hardware may not support.
If you’re having an old computer then it won’t be wise to upgrade the operating system before upgrading the hardware first. Of course, Windows 10 has some cool features but you need to be sure about the hardware first. As there will be not used of such computer where hardware and software compatibility is missing. Another thing, if your Windows license is already expired, then instead of just buying the software and upgrading it, we’d suggest you upgrade your computer itself.
That was a quick help while upgrading your computer. If you’re concerned about the security then upgrade to Windows 10 from Windows 8 or Windows 7 before January 2020. Also, if you’re facing any trouble while upgrading, please feel free to get in touch with us at [email protected].